Mad Dog and Merrill, nationally recognized and self proclaimed grillologists will be performing their miracles at out home and garden show on April 12th through the 14th at the UP State Fairgrounds Exhibition Building.
HOW KIWANIS BEGAN:
During the summer of 1914, Allen S. Browne, a professional organizer for fraternal groups, had an idea for a new kind of club. In addition to the fellowship and social aspects of other organizations, the members would give preference to each other in the exchange of business and services. Browne began recruiting business and professional men in Detroit, Michigan. Joe Prance, a merchant tailor, was the first to sign up and thus became “the first Kiwanian”.
By 1962, worldwide expansion was approved. In 1987, women officially were allowed into the membership. Want more information about the history of Kiwanis? Please visit www.kiwanis.org and search History of Kiwanis in the search box.
Objectives of Kiwanis International are:
- To give primacy to the human and spiritual rather than to the material values of life.
- To encourage the daily living of the ‘Golden Rule’ to all human relationships.
- To promote the adoption and the application of higher social, business, and professional standards.
- To develop by precept and example, a more intelligent, aggressive and serviceable citizenship.
- To provide, through Kiwanis Clubs, a practical means to form enduring friendships, to render altruistic service and to build better communities.
- To cooperate in creating and maintaining that sound public opinion and high idealism which make possible the increase of righteous, justice, patriotism and good will.