Escanaba Kiwanis Home and Garden Show/Pancake Days – Sponsored by American Metal Roofs of Northern Wisconsin
April 7-9, 2017 UP State Fair Ground–Ruth Butler Building
Come join us for the Annual Escanaba Kiwanis Club Home and Garden Show and Pancake Days! Help us to welcome our major sponsor American Metal Roofs of Northern Wisconsin.
Entrance to the show is FREE! Pancake meal tickets are:
- $6 for adults
- $4 for children 6-12
- FREE for children under 6
Check out the weekend:
- Friday, April 7th
- 5:00 – 5:30 p.m. Marvelous Mimics – Natural insect enemies & our allies – Lisa Fosmo, MSUE Master Gardener trainee (door prizes: mason bee hotel, bulb sampler, Marquette Food Co-op certificate, local food/wine gift basket, Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. book)
- 5:45 – 6:15 p.m. UP Beekeeping – Joel Lantz – Why be a beekeeper?, wildflowers-following the bloom, keeping bees in the North Country, what is the hive house?, what you can do to help pollinators?, and a bit of bee advocacy (door prizes: Blue Stone Perennials gift certificate-$30, Corona snips, gift basket, trowel)
- 7:30 – 8:00 p.m. Smart Plants – Hydrangea paniculata ‘RENhy’ Vanilla Strawberry – Rebecca Krans, MSUE Consumer Horticulture Educator – First 10 attendees will receive a free hydrangea compliments of Bailey Nurseries (door prizes: Bailey Nurseries hydrangeas (5), Corona snips (3), Spear & Jackson digging spade from Johnny’s Select Seeds, gift basket)
- Saturday, April 8th
- 9:00 – 9:45 a.m. Don’t guess, soil test! – Monica Jean, MSU Extension Field Crop Educator (door prizes: MSUE soil test kit, 2 pkgs. of cow pots, Corona snips, wine, chocolate, sausage gift basket, High Country Gardens $25 gift certificate, shovels (2))
- 11:00 – 11:45 a.m. Trash to Treasure – Recycling items for creative containers – Elizabeth Slajus & Rebecca Krans, MSU Extension Consumer Horticulture Staff (door prizes: 2 pkgs. of cow pots, Corona snips, gift basket, short hand hoes)
- 1 p.m. – 1:45 p.m. Help a Bee, Help me! – A family and child friendly activity about pollinators, Lisa Fosmo, MSUE Master Gardener trainee (door prizes: $30 Blue Stone Perennial gift certificate, Corona snips, wine, chocolate, sausage gift basket, Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. book, Bailey Nurseries hydrangea (3))
- 3:00 – 3:45 p.m. UP Beekeeping- Joel Lantz (see description above) (door prizes: Marquette Food Co-op certificate, Corona snips, wine, chocolate, sausage gift basket, $25 gift certificate Oakes daylilies, field hoe)
- 5:00 – 5:45 p.m. Starting Small – easy steps to start gardening with children, Elizabeth Slajus, Advanced Extension Master Gardener (door prizes: 2 pkgs. of cow pots, Corona Snips (2), wine, chocolate, sausage gift basket, hand hoes)
- 6:00 – 6:45 p.m. Wonderfully wild & Naturally native – ways to support and protect our natural insect allies – Lisa Fosmo, MSUE Master Gardener trainee (door prizes: 2 pkgs. of cow pots, $30 Blue Stone Perennial gift certificate, $50 Stark Bros gift certificate, Corona snips, wine, chocolate, sausage gift basket, $25 gift certificate Oakes daylilies, hydrangea (2))
- Sunday, April 9th
- 9:00 – 9:45 a.m. Introduction to Backyard Beekeeping – Jim Wilson, Brushy Mountain Bee Farm – introduction to backyard beekeeping. The versatility of honey, beeswax and propolis are virtually endless. Participants will get to see the basics of a hobby hive while getting helpful hints and tips for starting their own hives. (door prizes: Corona snips, wine, chocolate, sausage gift basket, push-pull hoe)
- 11:00 – 11:45 a.m. Season Extensions – hoophouse – Abby Palmer, North Farm, UPREC (door prizes: 2 pkgs. of cow pots, Corona snips, Corona shovel, wine, chocolate, sausage gift basket)
- 1 p.m. – 1:45 p.m. Square Foot Gardening – Rebecca Krans, MSU Extension Consumer Horticulture Educator(door prizes: 2 pkgs. of cow pots, Square Foot Garden from Lakestate Industries, Square foot herb garden from Lakestate Industries, wine, chocolate, sausage gift basket)
**Throughout the show at the bottom of every hour, create a bee hotel with your family. Take home and hang to help native mason bees (non-stinging).**
Show and Pancake Hours:
- Friday 4/7 – 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturday 4/8 – 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Sunday 4/9 – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Michigan State University Extension
The Michigan State University Extension Service will be presenting a series of “Smart Gardening” seminars throughout the show. Attendees at all Smart Gardening presentations can enter to win different garden- themed door prizes. Check out the “Smart Garden” presentation schedule, sponsors and door prizes.
Vendor Information and Contract
Vendors wishing to participate in this year’s show may dowload and print the: